Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Forever Young ??? Yep !


A funny thing happens when your children grow up. One night you look around and realize you've been left behind. The people you stayed home to watch and entertain every night of your adult life have gone out with new friends and you feel lonely. It really isn't funny, I mean, you didn't see me laughing when it happened to me 5 years ago.

Getting married right out of high school was a very 70's thing to do. The problem was, starting so young; you never get to enjoy the grownup things in life. In fact, you don't even know what they are. Imagine, you can't drink at your own wedding. Married 2 years, living in my own house, daughter 11 months old, that’s when I could legally have my first drink.

C (adored hubby) is a business owner and the business comes first, 7 days, 80+ hours per week. So I was home (when I wasn’t working P/T at his business) ALWAYS. I was DP (Designated Parent) 24/7 until my last little baby got her driver’s license and drove away without me.

Am I old? Do I have to spend the rest of my life doing genteel old lady stuff? Hell No! I was 45, but I felt like I was 25 and NOW, I'm having some fun.

Unfortunately for me, all our adult friends were happy to continue their lives where they were. No time travel for them. So, step one, meet new people. What to do?? Well, K and her friends are out (too young), B and his friends are out too (too wild and promiscuous). That leaves J, who is soon to be a bride and her Fiancé who just happens to be in a band that plays nightclubs. This sounds promising.

Went to see a show, liked the whole deal, and became a groupie at the ripe young age of 45. Once you take that first step towards the unknown, each one get a little easier.

Here are some other big steps I took in the summer of 2003, when I discovered my wings.

  1. After years of teaching dance, finally went to workshops and got certified as a Balletone/Pilates instructor.
  2. Missing the discovery through the eyes of a child, I invited my young niece to go on our annual week long camping trip.
  3. Started to actually start conversations with people and learn how to go from the outside to the inside of a group.
  4. Discovered Clutch.

Summer of 2008, I’m still taking new steps in every direction. But 2003 was a huge leap forward in my evolution. Now I believe that anything is possible and I think twice before deciding against doing things that may be difficult.

I have a mental list, I expand on it everyday. New goals to accomplish. Things unthought-of yesterday. I want to learn to play the drums. I want to hike in every National Park. I want to sleep in the desert tonight (just kidding). And I want to see the inside of that damn tour bus.

What do you still need to do?

5 comments:

Rock and Roll Mama said...

Nice! This is a killer post. Rock on, you. I still need to learn to speak a foreign language fluently, publish a book, and go rock climbing again. )Loved it BK- before kids.)

Unknown said...

Your welcome.

P.S. You forgot--
5. Spend TONS and TONS of time with my grandkids!!!!

Unknown said...

OOPS!!!

You're welcome.
Damn screaming kids...

Unknown said...

Ahem ... you did NOT discover Clutch.



"Thank you W"

"You're welcome K"

Yo Adrianne said...

---Now that I have a boring blogsite,
I get to comment on your EXCITING
one.
I guess I'll have to post photos of
our Dopey Dog, really Dumb Cats and
of course the gluttoness Gold Fish
to catch up with you.